/* */

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Three How-To Articles

I just came across this very funny video entitled How to Be the Perfect Girlfriend. It's funny because its true!

Have you ever felt awkward about giving compliments? How to Give a Good Compliment is a quick guide to giving compliments that will flatter the person receiving them. One thing I would add to this guide, is don't give compliments that aren't genuine. People know the difference between saying something because you really noticed, and saying something because you wanted something nice to say. For example, saying "That's a great shirt!" when you really find it hideous, will never come across as genuine.

From Joystiq, a link to a WikiHow article on How to Get Your Girlfriend to Play Videogames. Now, I like the idea of more girls playing video games, and I like the idea of couples trying out each other's hobbies. This article kind of pissed me off a little though. I feel like when we describe it as "How to get your girlfriend to," it's continuing the myth that girls don't like video games. Maybe the reason girls don't like video games is simply because we keep continuing that myth. Maybe if we didn't describe it in those terms, more girls would feel like it's okay for them to enjoy video games.

Also, I've known many a girl who resented video games, because she had often felt ignored by a boyfriend who was playing them. So if you're significant other hates games and you love them, make sure you aren't ignoring him or her to play games, because you'll just be making their hatred worse. It is also entirely possible that he or she already holds a resentment for gaming, because they previously dated a gamer who ignored them, even if you don't. It's just something to keep in mind.

If I was a gamer who wanted to get my significant other into gaming, my first stop would be the arcade. Try a place like Dave and Buster's with a big variety of games. You can even win tickets to get prizes on some of them. Have your S.O try a bunch of games to see what they like. Your girlfriend spends $10 playing House of the Dead? Maybe she would be willing to play Resident Evil or even Counterstrike.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger MoodSwingSet said...

That arcade thing is true. I just found out my gf like those hunting games. She really likes killing moose.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I disagree. My wife loves house of the dead and hates counterstrike, resident evil and any other fps / 3rd person shooter.
I have found that the only games she will play are side scrollers, ddr, and games she can beat my ass in (pretty much any racing game).
Anything she doesn't win the first try she doesn't want to play.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Mia said...

Well then, the trick is, always let her win the first couple times, so she'll want to play!

If she likes House of the Dead but not Res Evil, it might just be the control scheme. I'm hoping there will be some shooters on the Wii that will use a control scheme just like an arcade shooter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home